Palladio offers several performance solvers for models. The basic solvers included in a PCM installation are SimuCom and the PCM Solver, from which SimuCom is a pure simulation-based approch, while PCM Solver has different sub-solvers.
SimuCom supports all features of the PCM models, including effects of the middleware captured in completions.
PCM Solver currently has two main sub-solvers; not all constructs of PCM models are supported:
- SRE, Stochastic Regular Expressions; an fast analytical solver for a one-user case
- LQN Solver a analytical solver queuing network solver (install instruction for LQN solvers)
Other available performance solvers and simulators are
- EventSim: simulation approach performing faster simulations in some areas than SimuCom
- SimuLizar for analyzing self-adaptive systems, such as cloud computing systems, at design-time.
- LINE, a scalable solver for queueing network models based on ordinary differential equations
- ProtoCom: Not exactly a solver or simulation, but a prototype generator to measure performance effects of the target platform.
For reliability assessment, Palladio offers Reliability Prediction for Component-based Software Architectures.
There is an additional overview on solvers, analyses, and simulation approaches.
It is important not to mix up SimuCom and PCM Solver. In general PCM Solver offers faster access for results, while SimuCom has more precise results.